12.15.2009

Frédéric Méchiche




How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My room can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of decorating and ideal decor.
I love thee to the level of every home's
Most decorative need, by sun and candle-light.
and so on and so forth

apologies to Elizabeth Barrett Browning
appreciation to Anna of Door Sixteen
adoration and big french kisses to Frédéric Méchiche

accolades for Portraits (see #11) by Mark Luscombe-Whyte

Frédéric Méchiche is a superstar and I'm not ashamed to say I'd follow him to the ends of the earth. I'm not alone. He has designed the interior of villas, hotels and yachts. In this way, he is known around the world, leaving behind his designs with an unmistakable French charm. Look at this designer's work, much of which I have gathered for you here, and see if you don't fall for this guy. Hard. Ohhh, Frédé.

Stalking the Internet for Méchiche, one finds countless references to his work. Here, as this blog begins, there also begins what will hopefully become a definitive curation of work by Monsieur Méchiche.

In trying to piece together a bit of biography, I have learned that he is Algerian-born. Algeria was a colony of France from 1830 until the end of the Algerian Wars in 1962. Judging by the two photos I've seen of him, I'd say he was born around that time and perhaps his family then moved to France. I asked a French-speaking Algerian friend of mine to pronounce his name. He thinks it would be: may'-she-shuh or may'-sheesh, with the accent on the first sylable. He added that the name is Berber. Whatever it is and however it is said, anyone with "chic" in their name is okay by me.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Frédéric Méchiche.


Petite Bauhaus

Le Curry de Frédéric Méchiche

An 18th Century Loft

Apartment in Paris

Classic Style

Hôtel Particulier

Magazines on Méchiche

Changing sheets and other transformations

Taking it to another level

A Fisherman's Cottage

Booked

A room in Paris

Ship Shape