1.28.2010

what makes it modern?

I was admiring this beautiful bath today, analyzing what makes it look modern and how I can acquire the taste. Is it the neutral color scheme? No. Is it the industrial elements? Not necessarily. Is it the uncluttered editing? Partly. *FLASH* All the lines and shapes are rectilinear! Looking around my house I realize that everything I have is in some way curved, chamfered, beveled, softened. What happens to things when they wear down with age? The edges become rounded. Rounded = old? Usually when you see a circle in modern design, it's crisp and clean-edged, un-worn. Is it as simple as that? Really? Who says you can't teach an old, worn down, curvilinear dog new tricks? Bau wow!


Rose Uniacke / Andreas von Einsiedel / Remodelista
Rose Uniacke / Andreas von Einsiedel / Remodelista