5.29.2010

Stuff

like you won't believe

REUTERS : A boat passes through heavily oiled marsh near Pass a Loutre, Louisiana.


AP / Charlie Riedel


AP / Charlie Riedel


Phillippe Cousteau Jr., grandson of French explorer and ecologist Jacques-Yves Cousteau: "I could cut my leg off, I could cut my arm off, I could gouge my eye out, I'd still probably survive, but not very well. And that's what we're doing to our oceans."

Watch: Cousteau diving beneath the oil spill: "This is a nightmare!"

Watch: Cousteau talking about the oil spill with Bill Maher

Watch: BP could be leaking 100,000 barrels of oil a day


But we are perhaps more to blame for this disaster than anyone, because of our utterly irresponsible demand for oil - our gas guzzling cars, our extravagant energy inefficient houses, our endless manufacture of plastics, our throw-away lifestyles. If we refuse to change our ways, we can only point the finger at ourselves. BP creates the supply because we create the demand. We are the market, we are the consequence, we are the fault.

Myths about the Gulf Oil Spill

It's Not Just BP's Oil in the Gulf That Threatens World's Oceans


Oil from cars running off parking lot after storm. More oil is washed into our surface waters every year from storm water run off than the Exxon Valdez dumped in Prince William Sound / faceless b